Project 357 - Day 105

Don, Derek and I headed up Mt. Lemmon for about 7,000 feet of climbing fun!  We were totally enjoying the very light traffic, great temperatures and conversation as we got up near Bear Canyon (General Hitchcock camp ground).  Up the road in the parking area was a Pima County Sheriff's Deputy.  As we approached he hopped out of the patrol car and stopped us.  He said the Don was riding in the lane and 3 abreast, then proceeded to issue a citation to Don.  In Arizona, cyclist can ride two abreast and we can be in the traveling lane.  The interesting part is I was on the inside, Don beside me and Derek BEHIND and centered off our rear wheels so we could all B.S. on the ride.  Not sure what Don is planning on doing with the citation, but the Deputy was not nice nor was he a complete jerk.  He just did his business and cited Don.  My question is how could this Deputy tell we were 3 abreast since he never drove by us.  And to put even more spin on it, there was another Deputy on a motorcycle that passed us no less than 5 times during our ride up the highway and he waved at us twice as he passed in the opposite direction.  Doesn't make me happy about our Sheriffs Department!  
3 Responses
  1. E Castell Says:

    At least they didn't get you for speeding on the trip back down the hill!


  2. Tully Mars Says:

    I know! I did hit 47.2 mph on the way down, which is 12 mph over the posted speed limit. I was constantly on the brakes and looking downhill for the coppers! LOL